DJ Spotlight feature interview - DJ Boriqua - One-on-Exclusive

Intro

DJ Boriqua

Hailing originally from Puerto Rico, DJ Boriqua (aka Orlando Felix) was largely inspired by a contagious enthusiasm son of his father to give him one. "I definitely learn much more about Salsa ... But I have to share knowledge and experience I too had the good fortune to meet." How is it different with Latin Bay Area DJ, one of his main objectives in this role is toAssistance in training of music - with its rich history, culture and diversity of the artists that are so hard to contribute to the Latin music movement.

DJ Boriqua speaks a little 'differences, the events we can not notice or acknowledge the music that we hear played on radio, on Latin American music and dance, and the locations we visit. It is probably because most of us have no idea what they really feel and / or dance to have! You could be a popular San FranciscoClub play the old-school salsa (salsa in its purest form), then only twenty minutes on the peninsula can be found in another club, in a Central or South American flavor with salsa music, the bath from Colombia!

Interview

MG: How and when did you start as a DJ?

DJB: I never really thought about being a DJ, but I started buying salsa music while growing up in my native Puerto Rico. After joining the U.S. Air Force stationed in 1992me in Okinawa, Japan for 3 years. There I started buying CD insane amount of sauce - for me to close the feeling of home. ;-) In 1999 I was deployed to Saudi Arabia, where I DJing "Latin Night" began, along with other military members, as part of Air Force morale, welfare and sports program. I was a DJ, "Latin Night" in the Air Force in South Korea (2000) and finally to Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, California (2001-2003). Here in the Bay Area, my first opportunity toDJ was Sunnyvale, I have received from Stefano Palmeri at Steppin 'Out Dance Studio

MG: What were some of the most important influences on your development as a DJ?

DJB: My biggest influence was my father. He made the history of Mambo, Guanguanco, Pachanga and other styles of the '50s and '60s. He had so many vinyl at home and we use to listen to music on a daily basis. She told us stories about the music scene in New York and PuertoRico. He also informed about the famous musicians of the time, the instruments played, etc. I'm never satisfied. My brother Danny was also a source of inspiration. He is a great musical figure in Jacksonville, FL - both as a radio DJ and also as a promoter.

MG: What is your current involvement in the SF Bay Area Salsa scene?

DJB: When I was elected (in addition to the best DJs in the Bay Area), 7 for the second consecutive year, the spin Assembly SF BayArea International Salsa Congress. I am a resident DJ at GlasKat Lounge in San Francisco, along with DJ Chino and DJ Super EldelaClave. With the help of Rodney "RODC" Aquino, was one of the resident DJ at Sh Boom! Night Club in San Ramon, where DJ Super Chino turns too. I am the DJ for the annual Sonoma County Salsa Festival in Santa Rosa and support EldelaClave the monthly social dance company AfinKao The Beat Studio in Berkeley. . .where I am one of the principal dancers. In addition to these responsibilities DJ, I teach beginners On1 Salsa dance class at Gold's Gym in Santa Clara, near my beautiful girl Nashely.

MG: How would you describe your style?

DJB: I try to DJ at a pace where the dancers can interpret the music. It should also be aware of the crowd where you are DJing. So, I like to think that I could turn for the dancers. . . is that I am one ofthem.

MG: What do you think are the main differences between the Bay Area Salsa Salsa Salsa and other parts of the world?

DJB: Well, I think the SF Bay Area is unique in the variety of dancers. For example, the World Salsa Championships, we had the most finalists in each field. We had first and second division team winners in the Place, 2 and 3 in the division and the Top Ten On2 On1 Division. That's a lot of talent and, as you can see, there are goodrepresented by the Council. In the scene in a club, you can live music most nights of the week somewhere in the Bay Area. Sometimes you have two or more sites with live bands that night! We are truly blessed in the Bay Area in support of numerous opportunities and celebrate our love for Latin music and dance for you!

MG: What would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of the Bay Area Salsa community?

DJB: Our strength is definitely the unity of the salsa scene. Weseem to support each other here and outside the Bay Area. We are really proud of the product from this region. Our weakness is perhaps the fact that we fall victims of our success. if all that turns out to be successful in the scene trying to make money, it could be the scene is also divided, resulting in an effect of "dilution" of what a whole offered.

Currently, I think we are where we should. . . UNITED!

MG: The Bay Area isKnown for innovation in many occupations and the sauce is no exception. What is your reaction to what Giju made his first, and first Hindi / salsa crossover album "Rank Rangeela Yeh Duniya?

DJB: "Wow, it's amazing" I remember in 1991 I saw Orquesta de la Luz (Japanese Salsa Band) play at the University of Puerto Rico and I thought, now we have hedge Giju Hindi sauce and hit out of the park! In truth, all through the world of salsaLimits! The sky is the limit for him and wish him all the best luck with this and any other project that has come in the future.

MG: What do you think is the most important role of the DJ?

DJB: To know your music. , Belong to the sauce, if you decide to run. Become a visit with the dancers and listeners that your events. Always remember. . . They are there to support you, so do not disappoint you. There is nothing better than a listenerhead bobbing up and down, down while rum and coke, almost in a trance. And the dancers who knows what he's done a great job, especially at night to do it - there's no better feeling than that!

MG: What changes would you like to see in the salsa community and in the Bay Area Salsa scene in general?

DJB: I would like more social dance troupe from the performer to see. Running is a beautiful thing, but you get the social dance, so you can inspirecasual boyfriend / girlfriend to an event. Let them say: "Man, I'd like to see the dance!"

MG: The music is your full-time career or you have another vocation you pursue in addition to the role of DJ?

DJB: Believe it or not, I'm an air traffic controller in San Carlos Airport on the peninsula that I have a controller for more than 16 years (11 of them in the Air Force). DJs and shows me educate. I'm also a proud father. My son is 13 years old and my daughter Brianna Devin ninthThey live in South Carolina.

MG: Is there anything else you want to share with our readers?

DJB: I am proud to be part of the Bay Area salsa scene. I have some good friends as a part of this experience, dj, dance company directors, dancers and everyday and followers of the scene. Everyone is working hard from them to inspire others and we must be grateful.

Thank you for the opportunity to express myself.

* * *

Thank you for spending this timewith us, DJ Boriqua. We look forward to learning more of what you have, to begin with and share some of our other DJs like DJ Fab Fred, DJ El dela Clave, DJ La Coqui, DJ Frank and DJ Nelson Flores upcoming premiere in West Coast Salsa event:

We are so happy with the current level of talent here in the SF Bay Area DJ. The next time you are dancing and hear a song, they like you, leave the DJI know - you ask the artists, the source, the era of music. It could only expand your horizons. . . and certainly enrich your experience with SALSA!


DJ Spotlight feature interview - DJ Boriqua - One-on-Exclusive Reviewed by DJblog Tips on Saturday, December 18, 2010 Rating: 4.5

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... My Zimbio
Home | Best DJ Mixer Channel | Pro Recording Equipment | NetworkedBlog DJ Store Channels
Copyright © 2010-2012 Cheap Simple 4 Channel Mixer For DJ | Digital DJ Equipment Review All Rights Reserved.